In Year 5 we love reading!
Why not have a look at some of the books recommended below. These are books recommended to be read independently at Year 5. Why not share them as a family and read them together?
I will add some other lists too if these ones are too challenging at the moment. There really is a book out there for everyone - so keep searching for one you love!
Keep checking back as I will add more to this list regularly, and I will also share what I am reading too!
How often should I change my book in Year 5?
We are really excited to have lots of brand new books to read! There are different colour bands too so please see the reading letter sent home for information explaining this.
All children will have 2 books - 1 from the coloured band box, as well as another of their choice (which is suitable for their colour band).
At this level these books should take at least a week to read - probably more.
It is really important the children read aloud and discuss what they are reading
- Can they read fluently and with appropriate pace?
- Can they use expression to make the text 'come alive'?
- Can they notice if they have made a mistake and self-correct?
- Can they find the meaning of unknown words?
- Can they discuss what they have read with you? Can they understand the text, explain what they have read and discuss in detail aspects of plot, character, facts or opinions?
While it is brilliant that the children will probably be reading more independently for pleasure, it is important that their school reading books are discussed alongside an adult to aid and improve their understanding.
Keep on reading - I can't wait to hear about all the fantastic books you discover!