I am an experienced School Governor with responsibilities dating back to 2004 when I was a Governor at Sandford Primary School. During my time as a governor I have served on many committees, including Chair of Curriculum and Personnel, Finance and Premises and with particular responsibility for Assessment and Tracking, Governor Forum and MFL. I have also been involved as Safeguarding and SEN governor. I have enjoyed the role of Vice Chair of Governors and since 2007, Chair of Governors. With the federation of Sandford in January 2013 with Winscombe Primary School, I was duly elected as Chair of Governors of the Strawberry Line Federation. This has undoubtedly been one of my most challenging but, nonetheless rewarding, positions.
I have two children, both of whom attended Sandford Primary School before moving on to the local secondary school. I live nearby and our family business is located in this community.
How do I impact the Federation?
- As Chair of Governors, I am closely involved with both schools and ensure regular meetings with the Executive Headteacher to promote effective communication and monitoring. Indeed, I have maintained a very close working relationship with the current headteacher since her employment in January 2010.
- As Chair of Governors I attend all committee meetings as well as chair the full Governing Body meetings. Further, I visit both schools weekly, to meet with staff, children and parents. I make myself accessible and available to all stakeholders, to support the smooth running of the school and ensure the continued delivery of high quality education for our children.
- As Chair of Governors, I was heavily involved with the development of the Federation and its accompanying consultation process lasting a period of eighteen months.
- Since my election as Chair of the Federation, I have attended all necessary meetings to ensure that both schools meet statutory requirements.
- As Chair of Governors, I have experienced two Ofsted inspections and one Subject Survey Inspection, all at Sandford Primary School (2008: ‘Good with outstanding features’; 2013: ‘ Outstanding’; Subject Survey 2012: ‘Outstanding). During the most recent inspection in which the school was rated ‘outstanding’ in all aspects, the governors were highly commended for their role in the leadership of the school. It is our aim to replicate our performance here, at Winscombe Primary School.
- Given my background, I have applied my extensive experience and knowledge of governing and statutory matters at Winscombe. Since the establishment of the Federation, I have ensured that the governors and I understand the strengths and weaknesses of the school and work with and challenge the Executive Headteacher and staff to raise standards in all areas.